Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Adventures with Zilla: 3 Months

How old?: 3 Months!

Weight/Height:  Still growing like a weed. Haven't weighed or measured him in a while.  We'll have a more accurate update after his 4 months visit.

Baby clothes:  We can still barely squeeze him into some 0-3 month outfits, but he's most comfortable looking in 3-6 months.  I pulled out the outfit we bought him home from the hospital in and may have cried a little.  It was so tiny; I can't believe how big he has gotten!


Milestones: Zilla hit lots of milestones this month.  He coos like a champ and is most talkative in the morning.  He is also doing lots more social smiles, thank goodness!  He is not a big fan of tummy time, but when we do it he's so strong and can hold up his head and push himself up.  He even rolled over for the first time!  I was so excited :)  His hands are also opening up more and more and he's stretching out.  He has definitely found his hand, in that he sucks his fist like a lollipop, but I don't think he's realized he can grab things with it.  Although given the opportunity he will gladly grab onto our fingers and hair.  He has grabbed Jason's finger a few times and stuck it in his mouth.  
Here's a video of him cooing, but you may need to turn the volume up real high because his silly mom put her finger over the microphone: 


Special outings: We had a very active month!  Starting with the day after he turned 2 months we headed down South for Zilla's first trip to Houston!  He got to see his Nina and meet his great grandparents and great aunt.  He met the entire Garcia family.  He also got to see his Papa and meet his Mimsie Kathie.  We had a great time.  He behaved so well all weekend, which was a huge relief. 


The following weekend we headed South again, but this time to San Antonio.  This trip was two fold.  First, my dad took all the kids on a little vacation.  We stayed at a beautiful resort in La Cantera.  Zilla went on his first trip to Sea World and visited University of the Incarnate Word.  The second reason for the trip was my friend Sarah's wedding!  Aidan didn't go to the wedding, in fact this was the longest time I've spent away from him to date.  It was a little rough for mommy.

The next weekend we headed to Austin!  Daddy was quite excited about this trip.  We stayed with my cousin who has a beautiful home and was nice enough to take us in for a couple of days.  It was great getting to catch up with her. 
While here we headed to UT's campus.  Unfortunately, mommy and daddy aren't great at time management and we ended up having to rush through Zilla's campus tour.  I felt bad, because I know Jason was looking forward to showing his son around.  We did get a few pictures.  
We also attended Jason's friend's wedding and Zilla came along too!  This was his first wedding outside the womb.  Thankfully, he made it through the ceremony alright, but then he got pretty fussy.  We were blessed to meet a great couple while we were there who had a 7 month old and they offered us lots of encouragement and advice.  It was nice to have someone to sit by who wasn't going to judge us for having a fussy baby.
Before we left on Sunday we went to lunch with some friends of ours in Round Rock.  It's always good to see fellow married couple friends!  We haven't seen them since their wedding last year (Zilla's first wedding in the womb) and it was so good to catch up!   
On our way back to Dallas we stopped to see my aunt and cousins and let them meet Zilla.  It was great to see them and just relax on their patio for a few hours.  We also got to take home some yummy food :)  

Highlights of the month: 
Getting to interact more with Zilla is definitely the highlight.  The days aren't quite as long now that I can actually lay him down on his play mat and talk to him and watch him soak in his surroundings.  I can even leave him there for a bit and do some cooking or cleaning.  
It was my first Mother's Day this month!  It was so surreal at Mass when they had all the mother's stand up for a blessing.  I just can't believe how far we've come in such a short amount of time.  

Baby's routine:
Yup, still working on it.  He's a bit more consistent with the sleep, eat, wake cycle.  However he hits a serious fussy time in the evenings.  It usually starts around 8:00pm, although some days it will start as early as 5:00pm.  No matter when it starts it can last until 11:00pm.  He fights sleep like no baby I've ever met.  If he misses a nap, get ready for a rough night.  This kid needs his sleep.  The good news?  Once he goes down in the evening (9 or 10) he usually becomes a super easy baby.  His feedings stretch to about 4 or 5 hours apart and once he eats he falls right back asleep! That I can handle. 

Baby's favorite food: breast milk. 

Baby's favorite activity: Laying on his play mat and walks outside


Baby's favorite toy: Sophie the giraffe always makes him smile

Big changes:  
Mostly the increase of social smiles.  
He did go a couple of days where he was refusing to eat... particularly refusing to breastfeed.  This was incredibly frustrating for me.
His ability to be more steady in my arms is a big and very helpful change. I can multitask even when I'm holding him. 
I'm (slightly) less nervous to take him out in public now as long as it's only for an hour or two.  This means more outings with friends and quick runs to the grocery store.  Any longer than that and his schedule gets a little off and the day goes downhill from there.   
We put down a deposit with a home daycare for when I find a job.  It's exciting, but a little bit sad. 


Mommy Journal

Wow! After last month's post I received so many incredible messages of support and encouragement from my friends.  I'm so grateful for each of them and wanted to share with you all some of the love in case you're a mom and ever doubt your ability to get through a hard day: 
  • You're not alone.... reaching out is key and I so admire your courage to do so. I wanted to write to support and to share....Whatever happens, I hope you are able to experience peace soon with your new sweet boy!
  •  I'll be thinking about y'all and that I think you have an amazing little family. I'm sure you're doing a fabulous job...Keep the faith <3 
  •  It will get better and you'll remember the good times more. I love you...Just remember the amazing examples of moms you've had and know that they've gone through periods like this too.
  •  No amount of preparation can truly prepare you for your experience with parenthood...You, Jason, and Zilla are in my prayers.
  • Hope it gets better soon will say a little prayer that the colic ends soon
  • You are a great mom. I know some days are harder than others, but you are constantly showing Zilla your love.
  •  I pray that you will grow to love God, Jason, Zilla and all others more for the experiences of this season. And I pray that God will direct your path going into the next few months and years, as we trust that as he cares even for the sparrows (Matt. 10:29), he will provide all that you need in accordance with his riches in glory (Phil 4:19).
  • I know it must be difficult to have a baby with colic, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I think you're doing a great job. You've managed to transition into parenthood (seemingly) easily (though I'm sure it hasn't always been), and if anything it seems to have strengthened your marriage. Zilla is lucky to have you two for parents! 
And on that note, things have gotten better.  Looking back to the first month, when we literally never slept in the bed at the same time because someone had to be up and holding Zilla, I can't believe how good we've got it now! Like I said, I can actually take him into public now with a hope he won't break down into uncontrollable screaming; yea!  In fact, more often than not, on his short day trips out he is a very pleasant and adorable little guy.  Don't get me wrong, I still have days where I struggle, but I'm trying hard to be grateful for the time we have together before I go back to work.  It's going to be so hard to leave him every day, knowing that I'm going to miss so many of his firsts.

That's all for now
The VrlyFries  

No comments:

Post a Comment